Alvin & Stella

mashibinbin

Dedicated Member
In the final episode 'How to Not Cry at Weddings' there is a very different dynamic to the Stella and Alvin relationship - beforehand they had gently sparred and were admittedly warmer than Nora was to him but not as warm as Compo was, mostly, to Nora. However was this to be the springboard for something more? Personally I'd have hoped not as Stella was a poor Nora substitute and giving yet more screen time wouldn't have been to my taste. I did like the brief revenge on Hobbo she had tho.

I did like the brief revenge on Hobbo she had tho

With all the other ladies joining in including Pearl and Nellie sure made Holmfirth's James Bond squirm . I agree the riposte between Alvin and Nora was well written . Although I have seen it so many times I still laugh out loud every time when Alvin takes her picture laughing at him when he has fallen down the stairs . The mobile ,which he has hung in his bedroom so that he wakes up to seeing Nora every morning , is just so funny when he flicks it .

In the final episode 'How to Not Cry at Weddings' there is a very different dynamic to the Stella and Alvin relationship - beforehand they had gently sparred and were admittedly warmer than Nora was to him but not as warm as Compo was, mostly, to Nora. However was this to be the springboard for something more? Personally I'd have hoped not as Stella was a poor Nora substitute and giving yet more screen time wouldn't have been to my taste. I did like the brief revenge on Hobbo she had tho.
I think that was the intent, yes. The final episode suggests all the single men now have a woman in their lives. Alvin and Stella, Toby and Marina, Morton and the woman Glenda has set him up with.

In fairness, I think the change in Stella and Alvin’s relationship is apparent as early as the first episode of that series. It wasn’t just sprung on the viewers at the end.

I think that was the intent, yes. The final episode suggests all the single men now have a woman in their lives. Alvin and Stella, Toby and Marina, Morton and the woman Glenda has set him up with.

In fairness, I think the change in Stella and Alvin’s relationship is apparent as early as the first episode of that series. It wasn’t just sprung on the viewers at the end.

True, which if you extrapolate further means Clegg's line about whether or not he locked the door could be open to interpretation as to whether he's going to keep his guard up too frm now on about remaining single following Edith, an experience with Marina in a lift and a very unpleasant enforced courtship from Mrs Jack Attacliffe.

Pretty sure the Forum members concur that the final episode was not a fitting tribute to our great show . The plot was thin and the premise of the cancelled wedding , we're dressed and we are going to have a great day out regardless so the remaining cast are all together for one final time, on a rickety old bus riding off into the sunset is just a cliche'd finale seen in many instances [In my opinion the finest tribute to a series portrayed in a final episode was the very last Blackadder Goes Forth, it was so emotional and poignant ]

The Blackadder one is indeed a good one. Other ones that work well in my book are the Perry/Croft series which use the last series to wind down whether it's the end of the war as in Allo Allo or It Ain't Arf Hot Mum or the closing of Maplins for the Hi-de-Hi! staff. Also of note is the Young Ones finale which kills off our alternative heroes in a suitable way.

I liked the interplay between Alvin and Stella. I could see Alvin and Stella going out on a date together but not Alvin and Nora for some reason. Saw Alvin and Nora as more friendly, verbal sparring partners. Found it very endearing when Alvin created the mobile of Nora.

Thinking of show endings... I liked that even after the closing of Grace Brothers Department Store from Are You Being Served? the crew was able to transition to the manor farm. Captain Peacock careening through the hedge on a riding mower or Mrs Slocombe on an out of control gypsy cart were funny sights.

@mashibinbin
Good to see another 'Allo 'Allo, The Young Ones and Black Adder fan around. Are you a Red Dwarf fan too? Have you seen Upstart Crow yet? Upstart is very Black Adder-ish, both are done by Ben Elton.

Just this second finished watching the Christmas Upstart Crow on the IPlayer and I watched both regular series thought it was a bit different and I enjoyed it certainly preferable to Still Open All Hours which is way passed its sell by date . I just hope Ben Elton does not overdo it and continue on writing episodes at infinitum . Always difficult to judge when to end a show . I really liked Early Doors which just ran for two series which was particularly difficult I imagine because there were very few cast members and it was set in a pub throughout. There are a few Dwarfers on the forum aside from myself I know Brian is an aficionado . Doug Naylor is supposedly writing Series XIII so hopefully it does get commissioned by Dave Channel

In belated reply yes I am a fan of Red Dwarf both 'classic' and the new stuff on Dave. Upstart Crow is very Blackadder like indeed and enjoyable for many of the same reasons. One day they're have Blackadder II and Baldrick pop by briefly I'm sure ;)

Back