Acting Chops

bigcat

I recently watched Roman Holiday with Eddie Albert and was reminded that he was a pretty fair movie actor which skill he brought to his sitcom Green Acres. Then I remembered all the old genre actors who filled Hooterville in the American sitcoms Green Acres and Petticoat Junction. Mayberry on The Andy Griffith Show was much the same with old character actors wandering the streets. They grounded those show in some level of reality for all the madness that went on around them.

This led me to think of the actors in Last of the Summer Wine. I really do 'buy' the trio. Peter Sallis to me had enough performance ability to appear as a legitimate stage and film actor. His was the central role on this sitcom and I thought he was totally believable in that role. To a lesser extent Brian Wilde was also a solid actor in a fairly wide variety of roles though at his best in a comedy while Michael Aldridge had a fairly extensive career in stage and film. Bill Owen was a fine comic actor who inhabited the role of Compo.

They are solid at their roles in ways that 'comics' doing a turn as actors rarely are. I say that after starting to watch Open All Hours which is fun but clearly has Ronnie Baker as watch me I'm Ronnie Baker in a broad performance. Also I'm enjoying Everybody Loves Raymond, but clearly the lead and the fellow playing his brother are comics who are acting. They aren't bad but there is a distinct difference when compared to the actors playing Ray's parents who are legitimately good actors.

While to some extent the later secondary actors on Last of the Summer could edge toward 'ham' performances, Sid and Ivy along with Nora to me gave the town the feeling of reality. Each seemed committed to their roles and brought a level of characterization to the parts that made the world the trio wandered through come to life.

I agree with most of what you say bigcat but I am of the opposite view re Ronnie Barker in Open All Hours.
That is the ONE show he is in that I believe he is NOT Ronnie Barker..I only see Arkwright!

I have seen most of his shows over the years and he is BRILLIANT but I always see Ronnie....EXCEPT for OAH.

I can respect that Brian. I'm an outsider to your shores and I have only what I see in my limited knowledge allows.

I agree with most of what you say bigcat but I am of the opposite view re Ronnie Barker in Open All Hours.
That is the ONE show he is in that I believe he is NOT Ronnie Barker..I only see Arkwright!

I have seen most of his shows over the years and he is BRILLIANT but I always see Ronnie....EXCEPT for OAH.
I think his portrayal of Fletch in Porridge is fantastic. I don’t see Ronnie Barker when I watch Porridge I only see Norman Stanley.

Just for the record he was a brilliant comic, comic actor and comic writer. And we can let this thread which was never about him but got totally derailed die and I'll start a new one about how great Peter Sallis as an actor which was the intended point of the thread.

I recently watched Roman Holiday with Eddie Albert and was reminded that he was a pretty fair movie actor which skill he brought to his sitcom Green Acres. Then I remembered all the old genre actors who filled Hooterville in the American sitcoms Green Acres and Petticoat Junction. Mayberry on The Andy Griffith Show was much the same with old character actors wandering the streets. They grounded those show in some level of reality for all the madness that went on around them.

This led me to think of the actors in Last of the Summer Wine. I really do 'buy' the trio. Peter Sallis to me had enough performance ability to appear as a legitimate stage and film actor. His was the central role on this sitcom and I thought he was totally believable in that role. To a lesser extent Brian Wilde was also a solid actor in a fairly wide variety of roles though at his best in a comedy while Michael Aldridge had a fairly extensive career in stage and film. Bill Owen was a fine comic actor who inhabited the role of Compo.

They are solid at their roles in ways that 'comics' doing a turn as actors rarely are. I say that after starting to watch Open All Hours which is fun but clearly has Ronnie Baker as watch me I'm Ronnie Baker in a broad performance. Also I'm enjoying Everybody Loves Raymond, but clearly the lead and the fellow playing his brother are comics who are acting. They aren't bad but there is a distinct difference when compared to the actors playing Ray's parents who are legitimately good actors.

While to some extent the later secondary actors on Last of the Summer could edge toward 'ham' performances, Sid and Ivy along with Nora to me gave the town the feeling of reality. Each seemed committed to their roles and brought a level of characterization to the parts that made the world the trio wandered through come to life.
Barbara Pepper who played Doris Ziffel on Green Acres was a well-known movie actress playing a number of second banana roles. Tragically her husband was killed in a motorcycle accident and her career stalled as she suffered from depression and alcoholism which eventually led to her stint on Green Acres. Sadly, she began to suffer from poor health and eventually passed.

Eddie Albert, also from Green Acres and other things was also, in real life, a WW2 hero. He was in the Navy in the Pacific and saved Marines during the landings at Tarawa.
As another sideways step in this thread :13: when you look at a lot of the "older" actors there are quite a few who did extraordinary things in their own lives and quite a few who served their various countries during wars!

Bigcat...didn't mean to derail this thread..sorry :cry2: As for being a "stranger" to my shores..UMMMMM I assume you mean Britain because I am in OZ! LOL

Ronnie's career included several sitcoms..some not quite as good as others! Some include "The Magnificent Evans", "Clarence", "Open All Hours", "Lord Rustless Entertains", "Porridge", "Going Straight", "Hark at Barker", "The Two Ronnies", "The Frost Report", "Futtocks End" etc etc

Those are just off the top of my head and I KNOW!!! some are not exactly what are regarded as Sitcoms, but it is MY Memory..so there!:cheek::cheek:

Its fine. I shouldn't have mentioned Ronnie Barker so I really started the derailment and also I misspelled his name.

Yes there were some real heroes in the movie business back then. Also sports. Ted Williams serving in two wars for instance. He would have held all the records if he hadn't lost half a dozen years to service.

Tom Poston, who was a very good second banana on many sitcoms such as Newhart and a wonderful member of a panel on many game shows, was in the U.S. Air Corp during WWII and saw action during D Day.

I am joining this thread to concur with Bigcat, Peter Sallis was a fine actor, I saw him during the 80's in a double theatre bill called Sisterly Feelings, the premise was the actors on stage tossed a coin, and depending on how it landed, you saw the play designated heads or tales, obviously it was geared up to make sure you saw both parts of the play on alternate days. Peter played a very gentle role, and very much fitted in with the Clegg persona, and you could get swept away with the fine acting of all of the performers involved.

There was a wonderful Alan Ayckbourn play I did once called 'It Could be Any One of Us' whereby the murderer in the family is decided by a random card game and one of three script paths followed as a result. (spoilers; it was me each time!)

I am joining this thread to concur with Bigcat, Peter Sallis was a fine actor, I saw him during the 80's in a double theatre bill called Sisterly Feelings, the premise was the actors on stage tossed a coin, and depending on how it landed, you saw the play designated heads or tales, obviously it was geared up to make sure you saw both parts of the play on alternate days. Peter played a very gentle role, and very much fitted in with the Clegg persona, and you could get swept away with the fine acting of all of the performers involved.
He was also in a play in London where the moving scenery failed to move and he did a very nice ad lib while the stagehands were working to get the scenery to move.

There was a wonderful Alan Ayckbourn play I did once called 'It Could be Any One of Us' whereby the murderer in the family is decided by a random card game and one of three script paths followed as a result. (spoilers; it was me each time!)
On the subject of Alan Ayckbourn, I saw Ten Times Table a few years back and it had Mark Currie in it, aka Kevin from Will The Nearest Alien Come In. I appreciate it wasn't someone of Peter Sallis' calibre but he was very funny in it.

Has anyone else seen a LOTSW actor in any live production?

On the subject of Alan Ayckbourn, I saw Ten Times Table a few years back and it had Mark Currie in it, aka Kevin from Will The Nearest Alien Come In. I appreciate it wasn't someone of Peter Sallis' calibre but he was very funny in it.

I saw Tom doing his fairly extensive and occasionally touching one man show about his and Bill Owen's lives, as on tv documentary he always referred to his father as simply 'Bill.'

Doh! of course I saw Peter Sallis about 15 years ago when he toured with his one man show being interviewed about his life & career. He really was showing his age at this point and so it seems to have faded in my mind.

Not sure if this counts, but I saw Eric Sykes live in Run For Your Wife in Bournemouth around 1988; and Jack Smethurst in some Shakespeare play in Poole around 1992 or 1993. John Challis in his live one man show about five years ago. Oh, and Cannon and Ball in about 1986.

Not sure if this counts, but I saw Eric Sykes live in Run For Your Wife in Bournemouth around 1988; and Jack Smethurst in some Shakespeare play in Poole around 1992 or 1993. John Challis in his live one man show about five years ago. Oh, and Cannon and Ball in about 1986.
Course they all count! I had tickets for John Challis's one man show too, but he sadly died a couple of days before I was due to see him. It was already pushed back 2 years due to Covid.

Ah yes put me down for Mr Challis too, Cannon and Ball were due to be on in Liverpool the night of Lockdown I's announcement but thankfully saw them before in Bobby's play what he wrote with Stu 'crush a grape' Francis!

Back