Abrupt endings on Waiting for God

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
Hello Folks,

I have been popping in less here lately as I am in full swing with the school year. Also, I know this thread is a bit off track and I don't know if I will get any answers, but I thought I would giveit a shot.

How many of you watch Waiting for God?

I watch it every now and then on Sunday evenings and for a while I have been struck with how most episodes end. For some reason, the endings are extremely sudden, without any notice. It often seems like it is right in the middle of the scene.

Was thins some sort of creative intention with the producers? Any clues or thoughts would be appreciated. I can't think of any other show, British or American, that ends like this.

I think that was just the nature of the program it ended when it ended. I used to watch it but fed up with it after a while.

I think that was just the nature of the program it ended when it ended. I used to watch it but fed up with it after a while.

I try to relate the abrupt endings with the style of the show, but I just can't make any sense out of it.

How come you got fed up with the show?

I have watched it and loved it, generally considering it a great concept, good scripts and with an excellent cast. I just cannot say I ever noticed this abruptness but will watch out for it the next time it comes around.

Did we not consider its environment a great place for our three for a continuation of the show a year or so back?

I really tried to like this series, but just couldn't get into it.

I thought it would be more like One Foot in the Grave, with some of the same cast, made in the 90s, similar themes.

I think I just didn't like the two main characters - they both seemed to be a couple of gits.

It is a bit different of a show and I enjoy reading how everyone has a different opinion on it.

I like it a lot, although some episodes are stronger than others. I like the aloof Vicar (he could have been a Roy Clarke creation).

However, I am sometimes left disappointed after the sudden endings.

For Big Unc, I can't name which episodes have abrupt endings, but it is more than a few.

Interesting how, when we get into discussions like this, one is struck by how little one knows or remembers about a series.

I note that there were only five series from 1990 to 1994 and a total of 47 episodes.

I just cannot remember the vicar but note he was played by Tim Preece and appeared in five episodes.

I can just about remember Tim Preece from 'The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin'.

Hello Folks,

I have been popping in less here lately as I am in full swing with the school year. Also, I know this thread is a bit off track and I don't know if I will get any answers, but I thought I would giveit a shot.

How many of you watch Waiting for God?

I watch it every now and then on Sunday evenings and for a while I have been struck with how most episodes end. For some reason, the endings are extremely sudden, without any notice. It often seems like it is right in the middle of the scene.

Was thins some sort of creative intention with the producers? Any clues or thoughts would be appreciated. I can't think of any other show, British or American, that ends like this.

Could it be that PBS is just chopping each episode to fit in all that stuff that they like to fit in?

On another note, any resident of such an establishment, assisted living, nursing home; can easily tell you that they are just "Waiting for God." And aren't the characters true to form? In any establishment, you might find an old geezer who has flights of fancy, staff that are trying any cost cutting measure they can, and ladies who emotionally fight the fact that they ended up in such a place.

Could it be that PBS is just chopping each episode to fit in all that stuff that they like to fit in?

On another note, any resident of such an establishment, assisted living, nursing home; can easily tell you that they are just "Waiting for God." And aren't the characters true to form? In any establishment, you might find an old geezer who has flights of fancy, staff that are trying any cost cutting measure they can, and ladies who emotionally fight the fact that they ended up in such a place.

Too true - I could write a tale or two about care home residents and I have only been visiting them for five months!

You might be onto something there. The endings just seem so unnatural. It could be right in the middle of a scene and immediately after someone finishes a line, the credits and theme music kicks in. I am left a bit disappointed.

Being that this doesn't make any sense, your thought Adanor might be correct. However, I don't see this in any other BBC program.

Back