A touch of Pathos

Norm

Dedicated Member
I have noticed that on occasions Roy Clarke brings a touch of pathos even a little sadness into his characters. Two that spring to mind are :- "Getting Sam Home" when Cleggy is sitting on the school wall and talking of the war and the death of a friend in North Africa, it seems such a sad little moment (Roy Clarke does lighten the scene by getting Compo and Foggy to push him backwards off the wall). Another instance is "Getting on Sidneys wire" when the three are bringing a plank of wood back to the café and pass through an old rather desolate street where Compo used to do his courting. Again you feel the pathos and a little sadness as he reminisces. Are there any more of a similar nature ??

I remember a scene when Compo was talking about when Marilyn Monroe died thinking no one cared about her. That scene always seems sad for a brief moment until they lighten it up again.

I remember a scene when Compo was talking about when Marilyn Monroe died thinking no one cared about her. That scene always seems sad for a brief moment until they lighten it up again.

I love that scene its one of my favourites.

Hiya Norm. That scene on the school wall has always been one of my favourites. Not only for Roy Clarkes writing, but for the way Mr Sallis hits all the right notes perfectly. But then, I'm biased! Peter Sallis can do no wrong in my eyes!

me too, he is brilliant, and my favourite. Another wonderful, this time funny moment, is when he is ejected seat and all out of the van he is driving. I think it is called something like "Cheering up Ludwig" it has me rolling around every time I watch it.

Watching Clegg drive the Hillman head on into a tractor reinforced the fact that he should never have got involved with cars!

me too, he is brilliant, and my favourite. Another wonderful, this time funny moment, is when he is ejected seat and all out of the van he is driving. I think it is called something like "Cheering up Ludwig" it has me rolling around every time I watch it.
Ha ha!! Yes I just saw that last week. Remember when Nora and Wally saw the van pass with no driver. They then see Cleggy running behind it with his car seat in his hand. Nora says "Who is driving?" Cleggy just says "I am!" :D I love that!

Ha ha!! Yes I just saw that last week. Remember when Nora and Wally saw the van pass with no driver. They then see Cleggy running behind it with his car seat in his hand. Nora says "Who is driving?" Cleggy just says "I am!" :D I love that!

and Nora yelling, "Stop, you stupid men!" when they chase after with Clegg. Every time I watch it I am more impressed with Ludovic . .or rather the actor. When he stands on the wall ! "And I'll fight any man that says I have to go home!" Does a great drunk.

"Hail Smiling Morn or Thereabouts" has its moments when Clegg speaks about his late wife.

There is a touching moment in "Truly and the Whole Truth" where Clegg is talking about receiving warm fuzzy slippers from his wife. He knew then that his marriage would be alright.

Did we mention Ivy's sad look in "Pate and Chips" when their Chip and family leave with all those kids?

Back