A little Tony Capstick memory

Sarkus

Dedicated Member
I'm sure this is old news to many members, but I've been watching Series 25 this week. As it was the final series Tony Capstick appeared in, I did a bit of research on his career and came across some of his earlier non-Summerwine successes.

For those of us who only know some of these actors through this show, it's interesting to see what else they had success doing.

Thanks. I could not place the name and had to Google him. I liked his character. Thought that he, Cooper and Walsh definitely could have used some more screen time on LotSW.

In the same vein as your last sentence... Until a few months ago I had not seen Thora Hird in anything other than our beloved LotSW. I stumbled across a show with her in it called In Loving Memory. A very charming and funny comedy. After watching a few poor quality youtube videos I searched out and found a box set of the entire series on ebay for a great price. They just came in the other day and I am about to watch some episodes. :21:

Thora starred and played supporting rolls in many British made films over the years prior to LOTSW.

Thanks. I could not place the name and had to Google him. I liked his character. Thought that he, Cooper and Walsh definitely could have used some more screen time on LotSW.

In the same vein as your last sentence... Until a few months ago I had not seen Thora Hird in anything other than our beloved LotSW. I stumbled across a show with her in it called In Loving Memory. A very charming and funny comedy. After watching a few poor quality youtube videos I searched out and found a box set of the entire series on ebay for a great price. They just came in the other day and I am about to watch some episodes. :21:
Didn't she moderate a show called something like Psalms of Praise (?) that basically featured favorite hymns and other spiritual songs for years maybe on Sunday afternoon?

Also Christopher Beeny worked with Thora in this show, a great time plus a few LOSW guest appear over the series, it was filmed about 20 miles north of Holmfirth and a real treasure

I don't know if anyone watched the greatest comedy sketch shows ever last night on C5 there was some notable absences . I took great exception and I have to say I was somewhat disappointed with the assertion that Monty Python was a ground breaking show that changed the whole perspective we had on comedy sketches . Whilst it did to an extent, the Pythons readily admit that if it was not for Spike Milligan and his Q series, from which they lifted material , Python would never have been made , yet not a mention of Spike in this supposed greatest sketch show ever .

Monty Python owe loads to THE GOON SHOW and also as you say Captain Spike Milligan's shows (This was quoted some years ago when a show was aired praising Spikes work !!)

Monty Python owe loads to THE GOON SHOW and also as you say Captain Spike Milligan's shows (This was quoted some years ago when a show was aired praising Spikes work !!)

I think that Spike Milligan and his associates in the 1950s, who worked from the same office base - including Galton and Simpson and others such as Eric Sykes really were the starting point of much comedy that we have.

Back