A Little bit of North Yorkshire fun this weekend

Thank you for posting Terry it is a wonderful pageant I was in Haworth a few years back when they were holding such a celebration and the costumes are absolutely brilliant.

I have heard the Haworth one is no longer as they cannot get anyone to organise it anymore

I have heard the Haworth one is no longer as they cannot get anyone to organise it anymore

Oh what a shame because the whole village seemed to be there alongside visitors like myself and the station has been so tastefully refurbished it befits such an occasion as their WW2 reinactment. Having popped onto the Webcam a few times what a great looking day . I have been to that station , a few years back I drove a couple of friends, Mother and Son, for lunch and a ride on the train to celebrate the lady's 80th Birthday , they had such a marvlous day . Sadly they have both now passed away , I was just so pleased I could give them both that special day out .

I am not a railway buff in any shape or form but the sheer engineering achievement of restoring and running these Steam Engines undertaken by dedicated volunteers demonstrates what you can achieve and is refreshing in these days when people want everything on a plate . I have tuned in a few times to the cam and found it fascinating to take the locomotive number and then look up the history on the net . I noticed engine 44806 and it was built in 1944 in works at Derby so at 73 it is still running, an absolute testimony to the Engineering. :)

The last train has departed , the jitterbugger's floor has been taken up from the platform and stored away for next time , the last people have either gone to their cars or left on the last train . I do hope sincerely it was a huge success and they made a tender's full of money . It's critical that our Heritage remains in vogue so people of all ages can either reminisce about times gone by or discover their History first hand . It needs to survive and deserves support because of the huge effort the volunteers ,who give up every minute of their free time to keep the trains running and the stations so tastefully and beautifully presented . I hope the weekend was enjoyable for all .

I am not a railway buff in any shape or form but the sheer engineering achievement of restoring and running these Steam Engines undertaken by dedicated volunteers demonstrates what you can achieve and is refreshing in these days when people want everything on a plate . I have tuned in a few times to the cam and found it fascinating to take the locomotive number and then look up the history on the net . I noticed engine 44806 and it was built in 1944 in works at Derby so at 73 it is still running, an absolute testimony to the Engineering. :)

There are many more 100 years plus still running - although some parts will have been renewed as cladding eventually rusts and boilers have to be rebuilt, wheels retyred but much can be original such as frames motion and other parts.

Yes there was one in 2017 in May but discontinued. There were even proposed dates for 2018 but it has ceased due, as Terry says, to lack of organisers.

I think yesterday was their last regular day of their season but for the Santa train specials . I do hope they and the other Heritage operations made sufficient monies to keep running because of the pleasure they have brought to young and old . I suppose their hard work now begins getting the track and rolling stock ready for the start of the next season [hopefully!] .

I just saw on BBC Look North Yorkshire that the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (Pickering to Whitby) needs £2.5 million in the next five years to replace three historic bridges, to repair a number of carriages and to do additional work listed on the donations site. Donations are welcome from anyone and everyone.

I've ridden that line twice, and enjoyed it very much. Here's the link to their donation page. https://www.nymr.co.uk/httpswwwnymrcoukyorkshires-magnificent-journey. I just donated and patted myself on the back.

Back