One of the greatest Rock n Rollers

captain clutterbuck

LOTSW Fanatic
It has been announced that so sadly Little Richard has passed away aged 87 . He was one of the pioneers of Rock n Roll and was the real deal unlike some [ Bill Haley from my perspective] .With Chuck Berry gone that leaves the controversial but without doubt one of the greats Jerry Lee Lewis as the last survivor of the great 3 . He most definitely broke down barriers and his music definitely stands the test of time . I know the Beatles and Stones were huge fans and cite him as a really big influence on their music . A very sad loss

It has been announced that so sadly Little Richard has passed away aged 87 . He was one of the pioneers of Rock n Roll and was the real deal unlike some [ Bill Haley from my perspective] .With Chuck Berry gone that leaves the controversial but without doubt one of the greats Jerry Lee Lewis as the last survivor of the great 3 . He most definitely broke down barriers and his music definitely stands the test of time . I know the Beatles and Stones were huge fans and cite him as a really big influence on their music . A very sad loss
I agree with you Captain, Little Richard was one hell of a performer. He was 'magnetic' and had a most distinctive style. I do, however, disagree with you about Bill Haley. He was the start of 'R&R'. Rock Around the Clock started it all off. I saw him live and his music really launched the world into something different from the soppy hearts on sleeves which was the rage before R&R. The big bands were very good though, I.E. Glen Miller but the true daddy of R&R was Bill Haley. Little Richard, Chuck Berry & Jerry Lee Lewis each brought a new dimension to Rock music which to say, in the least, added so much to the music world. I married into R&R, yeah, my wifes' dumplings were like rock and her sausage rolls did anything but roll. :confused2:
Have a nice day all.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree , you have to say without doubt Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry had a stage presence and an edge to their performance . I have seen it said in many documentaries and specifically ladies who were just so disappointed that having bought this new edgy song that went against the grain [ Rock Around the Clock] they were gutted when he came to the UK to promote the song to find he dressed and looked like their Dad for which he lost an awful amount of credibility as being the next big thing so for that alone he is never considered to be a member of the R&R top flight.

I always cite Louis Jordan as one of the founders of "that new music," his recordings were leaning towards that Rock n Roll feel in the 40s and in early 50s but he never really got the credit he so richly deserved.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree , you have to say without doubt Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry had a stage presence and an edge to their performance . I have seen it said in many documentaries and specifically ladies who were just so disappointed that having bought this new edgy song that went against the grain [ Rock Around the Clock] they were gutted when he came to the UK to promote the song to find he dressed and looked like their Dad for which he lost an awful amount of credibility as being the next big thing so for that alone he is never considered to be a member of the R&R top flight.

I always cite Louis Jordan as one of the founders of "that new music," his recordings were leaning towards that Rock n Roll feel in the 40s and in early 50s but he never really got the credit he so richly deserved.
So did they mean that their dad was an old rocker?

So did they mean that their dad was an old rocker?

No not really they thought he'd be a young trendy guy as the music marked such a change with what came before but when he turned up he looked like a middle aged man dressed in clothes their dad would wear and they just didn't identify with him .

In that shot yes however, its that clean cut wholesome middle age image that Haley purveyed , something you could never accuse Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry of , that was his undoing. Not only that his biggest song Rock around the Clock is a direct lift from Hank Williams Move it on Over which was released some years earlier in 1947.

Way back, I played in a band and I seem to recall we played a few Little Richard numbers. Mostly though, we played James Brown stuff..... all his big hits. I preferred James Brown as we had a line-up that included a couple of saxes …. trumpet.

Way back, I played in a band and I seem to recall we played a few Little Richard numbers. Mostly though, we played James Brown stuff..... all his big hits. I preferred James Brown as we had a line-up that included a couple of saxes …. trumpet.
What was your band called Andy? and where did you play? Which counties?

What was your band called Andy? and where did you play? Which counties?

As is common with bands, we went through several permutations of band members - I played, and still play, tenor and alto sax, flute, clarinet. We were called "The Gremlins" for a good deal of the time, also "The Tornadoes" (before the hit band with the same name) and other names. we played in Essex / London. We did mainly weddings and social / working men's clubs around West Essex and East London. It was a fun time. Later I got more into Modern Jazz and have stuck with that ever since !

Last edited:
Back