Name episodes that

In fairness the police car is never damaged, they just lift the bonnet and have smoke coming out of the engine. I know they can't afford to trash cars due to the limited budget but this always makes me chuckle!!

In fairness the police car is never damaged, they just lift the bonnet and have smoke coming out of the engine. I know they can't afford to trash cars due to the limited budget but this always makes me chuckle!!

The Vauxhall Cavalier they used in Three Men and a Mangle was definitely damaged but it was probably an old banger they got cheaply.

The episode where they need to get a new wing mirror for the police car from Auntie Wainwright. I think Auntie sells them both mirrors when they just need the one. Not sure if that is the same episode Tom dresses up a an elf for Auntie's Christmas display and he gets a free ride down the street in the sleigh display.

On the subject of budgets, I'm sure the actors were working for next to nothing due the love of the programme in the latter series. I've read the BBC was deliberately squeezing the budget as they wanted it off the air. Probably the same principle as the Carry On Films where all the main cast got paid a maximum of £5000 in every single film!!!

That is just plan sad to hear that Barrychuckle. Considering that some so called actors make hundreds of thousands and up for TV shows that are horrid by comparison.

Last edited:
This is an addendum to my previous post.

Sorry for this mini rant but it just really sticks in my craw when thinking about what Barrychuckle posted above about the BBC squeezing budgets on shows we like. This is not directed specifically at the two shows I am about to mention, they are just examples.

The cast of Friends each get about $20 million per year in royalties from reruns of the show. The cast of The Big Bang Theory were bringing in a million dollars an episode near the final seasons. There were 24 episodes in season 12. I've watched both of those shows and like most of the episodes but the pay scale is so lopsided. All those behind the set - camera guys, lighting, sound crew, set design, etc. that made the show happen most likely gotten a pittance in comparison, as well as no royalties.

I know it was of a different time but the actors of our beloved show I wager were no where near that in pay per year let alone per episode. No wonder the elite of Hollywood are so out of touch with the normal working person when they are pulling down that kind of cash every month. They negotiated for that money and I do not begrudge them it, but still.

Mini rant done, thanks.

Rick I don't think it's a rant, you're making some very valid points. My day job is a financial adviser and thus have a broad idea of what people earn, so often ponder on what the actors were earning in the later series of LOTSW. It's speculation but I would guess that the main characters probably didn't earn more than £10k - £15k per series and the supporting cast probably half that. Clearly the BBC is tax payer funded so cannot throw silly sums of money like commercial channels can, but when you think some of the top actors in Eastenders & Casualty earn £300k - £500k per year it brings things into perspective......

Back