Holmfirth trip planning. Many questions, help is welcome.

RickAns

Dedicated Member
Hi all.

There is a real good chance I can make it over to the UK for a visit to Holmfirth this year:). Any helpful suggestions on where to go, what to do, etc are most welcome. This being my first trip overseas I would like your advice on a number of things. I know this is short notice and if I missed the window then will definitely start the planning process earlier next year. Apologies in advance for the haphazard bunch of questions.

I saw somewhere that the drive in Jackson Bridge where Clegg & Howard's houses are is private. So no walking close on there. That also Thumpy Dub bridge is private land. Are there any other places one should not venture?

Areas to explore, sites to see. (short list)
Greater Holmfirth - Nora & Compo's, Sid's Cafe, bus tour, LotSW exhibition, Clegg & Howard's first houses, Victoria Park, grave site, Pegden's, Digley Reserviour, Netherthong (FotSW co-p)

Jackson Bridge - White Horse Pub, Red Lion Pub, Clegg and Howards houses, Flag Pole Hill, Old Scar Rd (bridge view)

Hade Edge - Bay Horse Pub, Barry & Glenda's, reserviour

Marsden - Railway Pub, Auntie Wainwright's, Weir side, Blakely Reserviour (See ya Compo / waterfall), Swan Hotel, Eastergate Bridge plus others, Big Rocks other side of March Haigh Reserviour if feeling really ambitious.

Question on buses - Figure there is one to Marsden from Holmfirth (hope so). Would be nice if also to Jackson Bridge and Hade Edge between Holmfirth. I plan on walking most places. Does not look that far on a map - tell me if wrong on this. Excluding Marsden most sites I would like to see are within 3 to 5 Km or so of Holmfirth.

I'm early 50's and enjoy a good stroll. Done a bunch of 5 & 8K runs in the previous years. Not saying I could keep up with Pearl in one of her mud runs... If the weather is nice I do not mind going on a walk. Stop to eat and rest then walk back.

Flying in - London seems so far from Holmfirth. Is it viable to fly in to Manchester or Leeds and then train or bus to Holmfirth? Coming from East coast USA.

Good time to visit - I know this is on short notice. I'm thinking late Summer early Fall. August - September or so be good outdoor weather for hiking the hillsides? Hoping the heather will still be in bloom and the weather not too warm for several mile strolls.

I have read long ago that many around Europe like to go on vacation around the same time. That many shops shut down or go on reduced hours. Is that still a thing, do I need to plan around?

Money - I figure carry some local currency. Do most places take credit cards - smaller shops, etc? I will contact my CC company to let them know I will be overseas and it is me using it.

I have a weather proof camera, handheld GPS with local Holmfirth maps plus hiking trails installed, a cheap laptop with drive space to store pictures and GPS map software for trip planning. Plan to get a power converter to charge my stuff. Got the unlock code for my phone to get a temporary SIM card in case I need to use it.

Thinking of a small carry on bag for camera, laptop and such to keep with me. Plus a luggage bag for clothes that I can check into the plane's cargo hold.

Places to stay - Was thinking it would be neat to stay a week at Norah's for nostalga. Then another week or so at the Elephant & Castle or The Old Bridge Inn. Norah's seems to be booked solid rest of year, sadly. Also saw The Lodge which looks nice but seems already booked too. Other ideas?

Is two weeks a decent stay? I can stay longer. I'm thinking leisurely strolls and multiple visits to the areas around Holmfirth. Just in case it decides to rain nonstop the first week I am there. I've heard it does rain on occasion in England.

Highly doubt I will be mistaken for a local. Anything I should avoid doing or places to avoid? Not planning on walking down any dark alleys after midnight. Any packing or clothing suggestions? Will I look like a barmpot if I bring my flatcap? Guess I need to get my passport renewed as well.

Would be great to meet up with any of you if we have the chance. Be nice to have a pint of brew or cuppa tea with Summer Wine Fans. Terry, your map has been invaluable in finding the locations I would like to visit. If in the area I will gladly treat you to drinks and a meal as a small way of saying thanks.

Cheers,
Rick

Rick, if I could walk I would be very happy to take you to the places you wish to see. Unfortunately, I haven't driven the car for more than three years and I'm housebound. I do hope that someone will be able to help you. The walk from Holmfirth to Jackson Bridge is not really a stroll. It is a few miles and a bit up and down. Keep us informed as to how your plans work out.

Hi Rick, I have stayed here https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p8144848 and it is lovely, it is an upside down house so the bedrooms are on the ground floor, you have proper internet access, a few minutes walk to the town/bus station, not sure of availability as I don't know when you plan to visit, the contact number for the owner is a mobile so you would dial 0044 7760 248518, it really is a nice place to stay

If you let me know when you are sorted with dates I will try and get over a give you the tour

If you fly to Manchester there are trains to Marsden, Leeds airport is a few miles out of Leeds, so you would have to bus into Leeds, then a train to Huddersfield,then bus to Holmfirth, either choice certainly easier than going into London first
Terry

Flying in - London seems so far from Holmfirth. Is it viable to fly in to Manchester or Leeds and then train or bus to Holmfirth? Coming from East coast USA.

When I'm heading for anywhere in England north of a horizontal line passing through Birmingham, I fly from the Elmira, NY (ELM) airport to Detroit (DTW) for a flight to an airport with connections to Manchester (MAN). If you're near an international airport, you can probably get a less complicated flight itinerary. There's a rail station at MAN. See either https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ or https://www.thetrainline.com/ for rail connections and timetables to Huddersfield. You can purchase rail tickets in advance at the Trainline site and pick them up from a ticket machine at the MAN rail station.

From Huddersfield, you'll either pick up a taxi outside the rail station, but ask the driver if he knows the route to Holmfirth, or if you're not too exhausted, it's just a short uphill walk to the bus station. Walk into the station and look for the waiting area for the Holmfirth bay. Buy your ticket from the driver. Might be useful to "walk" the route in advance on Google Streetview. Find bus timetables and stop locations at https://www.yorkshiretravel.net/lts/#/travelInfo. That's where you find buses to Hade Edge, Jackson Bridge, Netherthong, back to Huddersfield and up the Colne Valley to Marsden, etc. I enjoy the walk along the Huddersfield Narrow Canal from Marsden to the Standedge Tunnel (the narrated boat ride part way into the tunnel is worth the time and rather low cost). The walk from the Standedge Tunnel (pronounced Stannedge, BTW) to the Eastergate Bridge is quite pleasant now that a footpath has been created next to the road to reduce road walking.

Places to stay

In the past, I've always stayed at The Rooms at The Nook. The single rooms are all on the top floor, three flights up, and lately I've let myself get too out of shape to commit to them. Since you're younger and much more fit than I am, you might want to see if the room called "Snailsden" is available. (The rooms are named for the areas reservoirs.) http://thenookbrewhouse.co.uk/rooms-at-the-nook/ I've never heard any bar noise that high up and at that end of the building. The only caveat is that the top floor rooms are right under the roof, so not suitable if you're very tall. Even at 5'1", I have to duck under the roof beams to get at the far sides of the room and the bath. This time, I'm staying at The Old Bridge, where I've reserved a room with breakfast only one flight up (21 steps).

sites to see.

You might enjoy a stroll up Back Lane, starting from the intersection with Station Road, to see the terrace that was used for the exterior of the Cleggs' house in FOTSW. Further up, you'll find the back of the terrace that was used for the Sibshaw's and Norman's houses before the move to Jackson Bridge. From just inside the gate is private property, but the front of the terrace is best seen from a little way up Rotcher Road or from Victoria Park.

I carry my debit card in addition to a couple of credit cards. There are Cashpoints (ATMs) at the airport, usually in baggage claim and arrivals where I withdraw enough cash to last the first week. There's a Cashpoint in Holmfirth at Barclays Bank on Victoria Square, and probably at other banks in town. Cashpoints usually issue only £20 notes, so I usually buy a snack with one of them while waiting for the train in order to have smaller money to buy my bus ticket. I use a security pocket for most of the cash, as well as the debit and credit cards unless I plan to use them in the next few hours. My security pocket came from Magellan's https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=112,3719&T1=MSV010MG and suspends from my belt inside my trousers aligned with the outside seam. I keep my passport in it, too, from after I've checked into my lodgings until just before checking in for my return flight. Whatever you do, don't carry anything valuable in your back pockets!

Plan to get a power converter to charge my stuff.

First check the tiny print on the backs of your devices to see if the voltage is listed as 100-240 or 110-220. Unless your devices are very old, they're probably all dual voltage. If so, you'll need only a plug adapter. See Magellan's for that, too. Get the 3-prong UK type, not the 2-prong. The latter are only for the shaver points (outlets) in posh hotels.

temporary SIM

A friend has a T-Mobile SIM that she installed for use in the UK on her most recent trip. I don't know whether or not she ever needed to use it, so I don't know if it was satisfactory. My phone has two SIM slots, as well as a slot for a memory card, so a couple of years ago my first stop was at the O2 store to get one of their prepaid SIMs and put £50 on it. That should have been ample, but I turned the location app on and didn't turn it off as soon as I finished using it, so O2 deducted £2 per day from my account. Now I know better, and I've been perfectly satisfied with O2. There's an O2 store in Huddersfield, in the Kingsgate Centre, ground floor left if you enter via the Cross Church Street entrance.

I'd give my eye teeth for two solid weeks in Holmfirth and the area, even though I return there about every second year and stay for a week at a time! I hope your trip actually happens and that you have a wonderful time.

Last edited:
Hi Rick, not sure if my experience would help you much as did it very muchly as a 1 in a lifetime trip and so, although not exactly travelling in Royal luxury I didn't skimp when it came to splashing out on things.

I had my own rental car so didn't do a huge amount of walking, and didn't utilise any Public Transport so cannot help there, but being there for only 3 days it worked out that I got to see a lot of the places I wanted to.

I stayed at the "Durker Roods" hotel in Meltham, which is about halfway between Holmfirth and Marsden and also features in the show a few times.(The town...not the hotel)

I used an International Debit card for obtaining cash from ATM's, which is what I predominately used for almost everything excepting Hotel bills for which I usually used a Credit Card.

Be VERY prepared for how "mountainous" is the terrain!! There is barely any level ground around Holmfirth, everything is either UP a very steep hill or UP an even steeper hill!;). Also for those of us from "larger" land masses, be prepared for how small and narrow things are compared to what you are used to! Errrrr.....also for you USA types, the cars drive on the opposite (correct) side of the road to you so when you are forced off one of the narrow footpaths (sidewalks) onto the road, don't get run over. The local drivers are also totally mad and WILL hit you if you give them the chance. There are supposed to be road laws but they are obviously "optional" and almost no-one uses the option!:fp:

For phone coverage I simply bought a local UK simcard (cannot remember the server, but there are loads and Pearl's O2 is one of the main ones)
and swapped out my Ozzie one while I was there, swapping back when I returned home.

Taking the Holmfirth Tour bus is a must as it shows you a lot of things in a short period and can give you an idea of where you might like to spend more time.
I would also recommend letting Terry kidnap you for a day.:08: His knowledge of the area and the show is outstanding!!:37:

I hope you have a wonderful time there, like I did. I went in mid-July and got seriously rained on for only 1 of my 3 days...actually it was more low mist and drizzle.

Rick, I really hope you make it over, Manchester is the closest to Holmfirth so if you can do, if you have to land in London it's not a problem, you can travel by train of hire a car but please remember we drive on the left. Our motorways run differently to yours so read up on that too. My friend Brenda sends me videos from when she's on the road and traffic is passing her from both side which scares the hell out of me also that's not allowed here either, if you're driving don't touch your phone. As for my mud runs I'm the first to leave and the last to come back so you'll have no competition from me, by the way if you're here next month I'm doing 2 so I'd be happy for you to join me. Keep us up dated on your plans.

The shops are usually on Summer hours until October so you'll have problem there. It's still quiet warm so walking/hiking will be good. Most foreign tourists hit Scotland in September/October I've noticed, the Australians and Japanese seem to like those months.

Thank you so much all of you for the advice. It is very helpful. If you think of more please, feel free to offer it up. This will be my first large vacation trip in a very long time. Wasn't sure until recently if it would come together and it looks like it is :). Prefer not to rush about trying to see everything all at once. Planning on a couple weeks in case the weather goes against me or unsure when I may be able to make it back.

It is really good to know that Manchester is a viable option. I'm closer to Raleigh NC airport but could also use New York or whatever to get to Manchester.

Peri, appreciate the offer and understand that you are not able to get around as well as you used to. I think you and noname live near Slaithwaite. Which seems a hop, skip and a jump from Marsden. If either you feel like having a visitor swing by I'd be happy to show up with a few cans of M&S's finest bitter. :18:

Terry, thanks for the link and offer to show me about if you are able. Will definitely keep in touch on when I plan to be there. In addition to the meal I'm more than willing to offer up petrol money. I appreciate the kindness of anyone taking the time out of their day to show me about.

Marianna I was hoping you would chime in, thanks. Since you have been there a few times I appreciate it when you share your knowledge. The Nook is one of the places I was looking at too. Good to know about the rooms being away from the noise and ceiling heights of the upper ones. I'm 5'7" so if you have to duck under the beams then so would I. I was wondering about late night bar noise at the other places I mentioned.

Brian I am not sure about the driving on the other side of the road thing yet. I'm sure I would get used to it. Rather not start off a visit there with a fender bender by going the wrong way around a round a bout, haha. That is why I am planning on walking more and using the buses. I've gotten used to things being sea level flat this past year. I realize that Holmfirth has proper hills and not just bumps. Hoping the exercise will help shed the few pounds or kilos I may pick up from hearty English foods. Meltham does seem nice and I plan to stop there on one of the trips to Marsden. I think the buses would go right through there.

Pearl, thanks it is good to know about the Summer hours for the shops. That the weather is still nice for hiking in the Fall is a plus. I'm really pleased at the idea of flying in / out of Manchester now. Next month is a little too soon for me to head over and run a race with ya. Good luck to you in your races. Please let us know how they go. Yes, we can have some crazy big city traffic here in the states. So glad I no longer live in Atlanta with it's mega multi-lane highways of crazy drivers. Sometimes when I drive I do use a phone in the car for gps navigation but not for texting or chatting.

Again, I appreciate everyone's help. I will update this thread as planning goes along. Also I will print it out since there is a lot of good info here.
Reading back through this I see that I tend to use the word appreciate a lot. I find it a great word, It is well meant and heart felt.

Cheers,
Rick

It is really good to know that Manchester is a viable option. I'm closer to Raleigh NC airport but could also use New York or whatever to get to Manchester.

You might want to take a look at the Delta Airlines web site delta.com. Enter RDU to MAN, select your preferred 2-week period and click Flexible Dates in the lower left corner of the calendar display, then Done, then the right arrow on the main page. You'll find flights from Raleigh-Durham to Manchester with a change in Atlanta. When you select your return flight, allow plenty of time at your first landfall in the States. You'll need time to go through Passport Control, retrieve your checked bag, walk it through customs, re-check it, pass through security (usually a bottleneck there), and get to the gate for your flight to RDU. It looks as thought the flight that would work best for the return is through Orlando. The Atlanta flights either don't allow enough time or they have you sitting around the airport for way too long.

If you're willing to travel in September, there are some very reasonable airfares. You probably won't want the Basic Economy fare because that doesn't include a checked bag and you can't select your seat in advance. I've always found the Main Economy fare class perfectly satisfactory.

BTW, if you haven't traveled by air in the last couple of decades, check out the TSA web site for the 3-1-1 bag requirements and the list of items not permitted in aircraft cabins.

When planning travel, I'm always a bit envious of people who live near a major airport. On the other hand, the reason I can afford to travel is that I live out here in the boonies where the cost of living is very low. Life is all about compromise!

... Slaithwaite.

You might want to take a bus there anyway, for the LOTSW locations.

And another site that's probably worth a visit is Holme. There's bus service from Holmfirth. Any day except Monday is a good time to visit because the pub, The Fleece Inn http://fleeceinnholme.co.uk/contact-us/ is open all the other days and serves food from noon. There are several LOTSW locations, and Digley Reservoir is an easy walk for you from the center of the village. Our trio was lounging on the slope next to the reservoir when Foggy hatched the idea for the dog-walking service.

Thank you so much, Marianna. Such great information! You got me wishing I could treat you to dinner for being so helpful.

It has been well over a decade since I have flown. My idea was to keep the more delicate electronics with me - camera, laptop, etc. If I have to put them in with cargo then I won't need a carry on and hopefully they won't end up 'lost'. Carry on camera in a small camera bag possibly? Will look into what the TSA site has to say and carry on size restrictions.

The Fleece looks like a nice place to stop in. I believe one of my walking books of the area has a loop around Holme. So that will make a nice visit.

Great to know about going through customs, layovers and having enough time to change between them. Sounds like Miami may be the way to come back. I'm about 2 hours from RDU. Sister is a lot closer, so hoping I can leave my vehicle with her to use while I am away. I was thinking August - September so reasonable fares is always a good thing.

Is there a good web site or phone app for the buses in and around Holmfirth?

Last edited:
You got me wishing I could treat you to dinner for being so helpful.

It's the thought that counts!

It has been well over a decade since I have flown. My idea was to keep the more delicate electronics with me - camera, laptop, etc. If I have to put them in with cargo then I won't need a carry on and hopefully they won't end up 'lost'. Carry on camera in a small camera bag possibly? Will look into what the TSA site has to say and carry on size restrictions.

Carry-on size restrictions depend on the country in which the airline is based. For US-registered airlines, it 9" x 14" x 22", including handles and wheels. Airlines registered in other countries allow only much smaller bags, so check your airlines' web sites. I restrict my carry-on to a much smaller size than the US max so that it will fit under the seat in front of me on most aircraft. That works on the planes used for short-haul routes like ELM-DTW and on long-haul routes like DTW-MAN, but not on the planes used for medium-haul routes like ATL-DTW. Then I have to find someone taller than I am to help me lift the carry-on into the overhead bin, because I can barely reach it and with my left shoulder joint having gone all arthritic I can no longer sort of toss it.

My carry-on contains the 3-1-1 bag usually packed full; the digital single-lens mirrorless camera and one general-purpose lens in the case I use in the field along with a small case containing ND grad filters, filter holder and a circular polarizer; a fairly small Lenovo tablet computer with accessory keyboard; a 4-port USB wall charger, plug adapter, charging cables; prescription medications that I don't need during the flight (the non-liquid/cream/gel ones that I'll need in transit are in the pockets of my travel vest, along with my phone, Kindle Paperwhite, and the small case of camera memory cards).

Is there a good web site or phone app for the buses in and around Holmfirth?

https://www.yorkshiretravel.net/lts/#/travelInfo
There's probably an app, as well, but I've always used this one.

Hi Chuck. Been a while since I chatted with you. Hope you are doing alright in Durham. You and my sister are both close to the airport but I think on opposite sides. You planning to head to Holmfirth anytime soon?

Again, Marianna great info. I'm liking the YorkshireTravel site. Seems I can take a train from Manchester airport to Huddersfield then bus to Holmfirth. I'm curious if it might be wise to just take the train to Marsden / Slaithwaite and bus to Holmfirth? Would save going past Holmfirth to Huddersfield. Then reverse that for the trip back. Peripheral, manwinoname what are your thoughts on the local buses?

We are thinking pretty much on the same page with the idea of carry on for camera, etc. I looked over the TSA site on what not to bring. Amazing they need to tell people that things like dynamite, hand grenades and other such things are a no no for air travel.

It is nice to see the pieces of the puzzle for the trip one is planning to come together. A friend of my sister works with a travel agent so I will get her help as well when ordering plane tickets. I would not have thought to consider layover times / customs check through.

Seems I can take a train from Manchester airport to Huddersfield then bus to Holmfirth. I'm curious if it might be wise to just take the train to Marsden / Slaithwaite and bus to Holmfirth?

Buses from Marsden/Slaithwaite go to Huddersfield, where you change for Holmfirth. Yes, the train goes past Holmfirth, but on the other side of the mountain from Marsden.

Bus tickets in West Yorkshire can almost always be purchased from the driver. I had nearly forgotten about the PlusBus pass that can be purchased with rail tickets from staffed rail ticket offices. Trainline used to offer them, but they seem to have discontinued the service.

Take a look at http://plusbus.info/huddersfield and https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/plusbus.aspx. If you're likely to use the bus for at least one round trip per day, you would probably at least break even on the 7-day pass. Otherwise, your might be better off buying individual tickets from the drivers. I've sometimes used Plusbus even when the fare per journey was higher just for the convenience of quicker boarding. To buy the PlusBus pass, you'd probably have to buy your rail ticket from the ticket office at MAN, so you'd miss out on the Advance purchase discount that you'd get if you bought far enough in advance from Trainline.

I would not have thought to consider layover times / customs check through.

The airlines and travel agents that I've dealt with over the ~25 I've been traveling internationally seem not to know about the time-consuming rigamarole we have to go through to re-enter the US. They always book connections that are impractically tight. I haven't dealt with a travel agent in many years, although I used AAA for my first international trip, and the company I worked for required that we use American Express for business travel (all domestic) even though I never liked any of the hotels and flight itineraries that they booked for me.

I've bought my airline tickets directly from the airline's web site ever since the internet developed beyond typing at the command line. My UK and European rail tickets have been ordered from Trainline, tickets for UK routes to be picked up at the first automatic ticket machine I come to and the ones for European routes to be printed at home.

as far as im aware a train from manchester airport to Slaithwaite means you have to change at Manchester Piccadilly station if you go to Huddersfield then its a straight run without changing even though this train goes through Marsden and Slaithwaite station it doesnt stop its the airport express, plenty of buses then from Huddersfield bus station which is a short walk from the train, the buses to Holmfirth from Marsden and Slaithwaite are irregular so realy not viable i think they are one an hour

Rick,

If you wanted to stay a while longer and perhaps want to take a part time job to supplement you spending money you may be interested in this vacancy at the North York Moor Railways . I understand you would be in charge of two mature ladies who have been in catering for years and will undertake part of the interview process . If you wish to apply please send your CV to Ivy and Nora, C/O The Tearoom, Grosmont Station , Grosmont , Whitby , England , YO22 5QE :)

https://www.nymr.co.uk/paid-vacancy-tea-room-supervisor

The PlusBus looks like a great deal, Marianna. The week pass could really come in handy. The map with bus stops seem pretty much near most places I wish to go. Most of places I have lived there has not been decent bus services so it will be fun to just ride around a bit while enjoying the sites.

Did not even think about separate train lines between Manchester and Huddersfield. Non stop versus stops. I figured if we are already stopping at Marsden why not hop off take the shortcut and save some time. Another reason I am so glad to have found this forum and the people here. So much knowledge and a willingness to share it.

That is a good idea captain. Working on the train I can pretend like I am Wally Batty. Though I am not really sure what kind of what he did with the railroad. That would be quite the commute for your wife, Brian.

Back