Can anyone help ? - Episode with Smiler's busted foot.

and7barton

Dedicated Member
I'm just trying to find the hilarious episode where Smiler gets his foot injured, and people keep accidentally bumping into it. Can anyone give me the title ?

I think it may be " OPTIMISM IN THE HOUSING MARKET " Barry has to chase after Compo in the run away wheelchair, He uses a children's scooter, tearing the leg off his managers trousers in the process. .:eek2:

I think it may be " OPTIMISM IN THE HOUSING MARKET " Barry has to chase after Compo in the run away wheelchair, He uses a children's scooter, tearing the leg off his managers trousers in the process. .:eek2:
Yes, that's the one.

I agree. He did a good performance. I felt bad for Smiler that the ones bumping him into things barely seemed to care of injuring him further.

Didn't Ron Backhouse say that "he wouldn't have Smiler in if he was going to be rowdy ?":eyesroll:

Thanks for that info. Stephen Lewis did a good performance on this episode, I thought.
I feel he was a very underrated actor... Brilliant in On the Buses, and I think early on he was good here... later on he was almost like a statue though :(

I think like Russ Abbot , Stephen spent his whole career basically playing the same part but in different shows . The analogy I draw is like an old Variety artist who could basically keep the same act and tour the Halls and Theatres with the knowledge that the audience would not have seen or are likely to see their act again . TV is of course different but Stephen managed to "stay in character" throughout his career . Aside from On the Buses and LOTSW if you check out his appearance in Oh Doctor Beeching and in the One Foot in the Grave episode Love and Death his characters are played in the same manner .

So was that his normal voice that he used? There was one episode where he rode a bicycle out into the country and he could have been drunk and he suddenly speaks with a deep resonate voice.

I'm just trying to find the hilarious episode where Smiler gets his foot injured, and people keep accidentally bumping into it. Can anyone give me the title ?
When my husband was a teenager and in boarding school; he had an ingrown toenail and someone was always stepping on it in between the foot bath and the bedroom. Don't ask why the foot bath couldn't be in the bedroom.

Back