Wesley's Land Rover questions

RickAns

Dedicated Member
Hi all,

I know Wesley has had access to a lot of different vehicles on the show. My focus is more on the Land Rovers. I'd like to try to read up more on them but I do not know what year range they might be in. Or even what model they could be. Some look like short bed trucks and a few maybe standard size bed length. Don't think any look like the long bed range they have over here in the States. I don't even know if any of Wesley's Land Rover are available here. Would be great if some are. Most that pop up on my searches are new SUV's.

I saw somewhere it mentioned a Series 2 109. Don't know if that is correct or for which one of the many Wesley had. A sampling of random episodes during Wesley's time period netted me 8 different Land Rovers! Any of you have more details for me on his trucks? If so I would really appreciate it.

I did note that during the episode of Come In Sun Ray Major they used two different trucks! If you notice the grill, bumper and headlights of the Land Rover as Clegg is calling Compo to save Marina from her 'failed' brakes. It is a different truck that Clegg and Foggy get out of when they go to see if Marina is alright. Different bumper, headlight placement and grill color. :42:

Here is a patchwork list that I have come up with so far. Has the basics: the year, plate number, brief episode title I saw the truck and a small description of truck. When I say headlights inside / outside I am referring to placement on the recessed radiator - grill area versus placement on the front fender area. Sorry if that is too technical, haha! :32:

edit:
Blast it the Tab formatting is not carrying over. Trying to make readable....

year(s)
Plate#
Episode
Truck Description

AVH 605A
Loxely Lozenge
Green w/ white top. Headlights on inside. Silver grill.

ODT 418X
Who's Looking / Cafe
Black. Enclosed rear bed. Headlights on outside. Silver grill.

BVH 210A
Set People / Free
Blue w/ white top.

1988-1990
UKH 45R
Treasure / Deep
Dark green, white wheels. Headlights on outside w/ black rings. Silver grill. Single front bumper. White wheels.

UKH 45R
Sun Ray Major
Episode starts out with above vehicle - swapped near end of episode with-
Dark green. Headlights on inside. Black grill. Double front bumper. Dark wheels.

OSX 666P
Give us a Lift
Dark green. Headlights on outside. Screens over headlights / tails. Silver grill. Black wheels. Mirrors on fenders.

1992-1997
MOG 612X
Wheelies / Clear - Pipes / Desperate - Duffield / Love Mobile
Dark green. Headlights on outside / white trim. White wheels. Silver trim on sides and windscreen. Rusted mirrors get painted black.

1998-2002
Q12 JWX
Diesel Sax / Morris Minor / Gnome Away / Hot Dog
Brown. Black grill /w headlight trim. Headlights on outside. Spare tire in bed.
Some episodes it looks brown and others a green / brown from my screen captures. Still seems to be the same truck.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
Just watched Sun Ray Major again. Yes you are right RickAns. Also the colour of the vehicle they get out of when they go to see Compo and Marina looks black to me but could be a dark green.

I am not really a land rover aware person, and there were many different build types, other than the military the UK's biggest users were farmers, Rick if you have a look on www.ebay.co.uk and search for classic Land Rover, you will see many variants

I am not a car person , as long as it get me from A to B don't really care what I drive or am being driven in . I know that Landrover are an iconic brand , I understand that they perhaps pre-date the Model T Ford as this picture shows :-

car.jpg

Appears this was not your normal one careful lady owner rather one F . Flinstone rather wreckless owner but it had off road capability , we it would as there effectively were no roads per say. ;)

Thanks all. I knew of the Land Rover trucks but not really thought much of them beyond being a British icon of sorts. I got to thinking while watching an episode with Wesley's truck and thought I really like his truck, it is starting to grow on me. Being inquisitive of nature I wanted to find out more about it / them. Had no clue that Wesley drove so many different Land Rovers on the show!

Adrian, the second truck is certainly a darker shade of green than the first. I think the shot with the trees casting a shadow on the truck makes it appear even darker and closer to black. I honestly would not have noticed the change in trucks if I had not just taken a screen shot of the truck approaching Clegg as he sat on the wall waiting for them. Then again taking a screenshot as they got out of the truck to tend to Marina. I was looking for some kind of model marking or label on front of the truck. When I thought 'That's not the same truck!!'

I know a bit about cars and Land Rover but you will probably need a real expert Rick! The reason is that the classic Land Rover designs changed much more slowly then we are used to in the US. The original design (Series 1) was produced from 1948-1958. Series II only lasted a few years, 1958-1961, but Series IIa was built from 1961-1971. Series III of the classic design was 1971-1985. While there were some changes year to year within those runs, the exterior design didn't change much at all, making casual identification of a particular year difficult.

The show didn't keep the same vehicles for the most part (there are some exceptions). They relied on a vehicle supplier and their fleet changed year to year. I thought they kept the same Land Rover for Wesley for a long run, but I guess I was just noticing the color and general body style, as your list shows they weren't the same vehicle.

Thanks all. I knew of the Land Rover trucks but not really thought much of them beyond being a British icon of sorts. I got to thinking while watching an episode with Wesley's truck and thought I really like his truck, it is starting to grow on me. Being inquisitive of nature I wanted to find out more about it / them. Had no clue that Wesley drove so many different Land Rovers on the show!

Adrian, the second truck is certainly a darker shade of green than the first. I think the shot with the trees casting a shadow on the truck makes it appear even darker and closer to black. I honestly would not have noticed the change in trucks if I had not just taken a screen shot of the truck approaching Clegg as he sat on the wall waiting for them. Then again taking a screenshot as they got out of the truck to tend to Marina. I was looking for some kind of model marking or label on front of the truck. When I thought 'That's not the same truck!!'
RickAns, watch Roll On. I saw the second truck that you mentioned in Sun Ray Major in that episode. So I tried to find a shot that showed the number plate. Imagine my surprise when I did manage to pause it and found it had the same number plate as the first truck in Sun Ray Major, UKH 45R. Two different models of Land Rover but the same plate.
I know you can swap a personalised plate between vehicles but I don't think that was one.

Thanks Sarkus for the year / model breakdown, that is helpful. I had mostly thought that Wesley and others pretty much drove the same vehicles throughout the years. Wasn't till I started more of an interest his truck that I noticed the change in headlight position which started all this off.

Adrian, you are right. It has started to have taken the form of 'What truck is Wesley driving today?' game for me now.

I know Barry has switched cars a few times. Not sure about Edie's car or Entwhistle's truck yet. Roz had a little car too, can't think of anyone else who routinely had a vehicle.

Not sure about Edie's car or Entwhistle's truck yet. Roz had a little car too, can't think of anyone else who routinely had a vehicle.[/QUOTE]
...Compo reluctantly had many modes of transport but calling them vehicles is pushing it a bit too far!! :) ;)

RickAns, Barry had what certainly was a second hand car when he got married then got better cars as the series went on. Edie's first car had the number plate WRH 132J. That was in 'Edie and the Automobile'.
In the episode 'Beware of the Hot Dog' Glenda can be seen driving the car but the number plate is different.
Edie was also seen the the episode 'What's Santa Brought For Nora Then?' a three wheeler. The number plate being FWU 168T.

Enwhistle's truck stayed the same. I never saw a different number plate on it. There were a few episodes where he was reluctant to spend money on it so I guess that is why it never changed.

Interesting and thanks for the list of Land Rovers used. They were I think nearly all SWB classic style which as pointed out did not differ greatly over the years. Another factor is that body panels could be readily replaced and thus possible for any Land Rover to be a hybrid. There was, may be still is, a local firm called Simmonites (Thornton) who overhauled and refurbished Land Rovers and they often could exhibit a lot of changes from original specifications.

One company made die cast models of some of them including Edie's Triumph Herald which has WRH 132J plate. They also did the Land rover used for a long time but not sure what that one was. (1/50 scale if I recall).

I always thought Barry's cars become newer as he progressed up the ranks of the Building Society. So each series he had a slightly better one.

Hi, Barmpot.

I have seen the scale model set you mentioned with the truck and Compo on a chair. From the Give Us a Lift episode, I think. Considering buying it if I come across one for a decent price and shipping. Made by Corgi at 1:43 scale. Saw a seller offering both the kits together - the truck, Compo and Edie with her car.

Wow, I just discovered I get a lot more hits by searching Corgi Land Rover than I get then when I add in Last of the Summer Wine to the search criteria. Sometimes the obvious is staring one right in the face, LoL!

Last edited:
Hi, I'm Greg. New to the site. I just wanted to comment because as a child, my dad owned one of the land rovers used on last of the summer wine. I remember seeing it on television when I was a teenager and it brought back some great memories from my childhood. Unfortunately, the vehicle no longer exists or I would have tried to get my hands on it. Luckily, there is a corgi toy on ebay. I feel truly lucky that I can get this, even though it's not the real thing. I found this thread by putting the registration number in Google. For some reason, I just never forgot it. OSX666P. I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd say hi and thank you for your research. I have been trying to catch the episodes that it featured in for years but have always been unlucky. Thanks to your post, I was able to go straight to it and it is a brilliant episode too. Thanks again

Hello Greg , welcome to the Forum glad you found the information regarding your Dad's land rover . I hope you decide to stay on the site and contribute any thoughts you have about the characters and the show .

Greets and Welcome @Greg :18:.

Very neat that you have some history with one of Wesley's Rovers. Do you know if there are any family pictures of yours with the truck in it? Don't worry too much if you post to an older thread. Thankfully this forum is not like some places that give the evil eye when that is done. I have discovered many great threads here when others have done that.

Interesting and thanks for the list of Land Rovers used. They were I think nearly all SWB classic style which as pointed out did not differ greatly over the years. Another factor is that body panels could be readily replaced and thus possible for any Land Rover to be a hybrid. There was, may be still is, a local firm called Simmonites (Thornton) who overhauled and refurbished Land Rovers and they often could exhibit a lot of changes from original specifications.

One company made die cast models of some of them including Edie's Triumph Herald which has WRH 132J plate. They also did the Land rover used for a long time but not sure what that one was. (1/50 scale if I recall).

I always thought Barry's cars become newer as he progressed up the ranks of the Building Society. So each series he had a slightly better one.

It was Corgi who made Edie's Triumph and Wesley's Land Rover. Edie's Triumph was 1/43 scale. It had no registration on it whatsoever, so it may represent either of the two she had over the years. (WRH 132J or CXE 604J, depending on your preference). The model also comes with a figureine of Edie herself.

The model of Wesley's Land Rover is also 1/43 scale. It comes from the actual episode "Give Us A Lift" and has the registration of OSX 666P as in the episode. It comes with a figurine of Compo in the armchair, which balances on the rear of the Land Rover to represent the scene outside Wesley's shed where the chair, (and Compo) fall of the back of the Land Rover.

Attachments

• LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE LAND ROVER & CHAIR CORGI.JPG
    LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE LAND ROVER & CHAIR CORGI.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 22
  • LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE LAND ROVER & CHAIR CORGI4.JPG
    LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE LAND ROVER & CHAIR CORGI4.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 19
  • LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE TRIUMPH HERALD CORGI.JPG
    LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE TRIUMPH HERALD CORGI.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 18
  • LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE TRIUMPH HERALD CORGI2.JPG
    LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE TRIUMPH HERALD CORGI2.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 20
Hi, I'm Greg. New to the site. I just wanted to comment because as a child, my dad owned one of the land rovers used on last of the summer wine. I remember seeing it on television when I was a teenager and it brought back some great memories from my childhood. Unfortunately, the vehicle no longer exists or I would have tried to get my hands on it. Luckily, there is a corgi toy on ebay. I feel truly lucky that I can get this, even though it's not the real thing. I found this thread by putting the registration number in Google. For some reason, I just never forgot it. OSX666P. I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd say hi and thank you for your research. I have been trying to catch the episodes that it featured in for years but have always been unlucky. Thanks to your post, I was able to go straight to it and it is a brilliant episode too. Thanks again
Hi Greg, you should be able to see it here

You will need to download it to a pc or similar

Back