"Sophos Home" Antivirus - First impressions

Hello Marianna ,

I concur , after seeing Tony's post I logged onto my Sophos Account and nothing obvious appears in the context of configuring notifications there may well be a registry entry that could be altered but without one of the programme authors publishing details it is not something you would want to experiment with . I was going to say I have not experienced the issue [bu that would not have helped you in any way] I assume you are on version 1.2.5 like myself ?

Let me try and explain
1: Dashboard
S-Dashboard copy.jpg

2: The Overview
S-Overview.jpg

3: Configuration
S-Config copy.jpg

4: Advanced tab
S-Advanced.jpg

Hope that helps

Hello Marianna ,

I concur , after seeing Tony's post I logged onto my Sophos Account and nothing obvious appears in the context of configuring notifications there may well be a registry entry that could be altered but without one of the programme authors publishing details it is not something you would want to experiment with . I was going to say I have not experienced the issue [bu that would not have helped you in any way] I assume you are on version 1.2.5 like myself ?

Yes, I have that version, too.

The registry line that we supposedly can edit that I found in a forum post doesn't exist in the registry on my machine. I can't remember how old the many complaints and the solution were, so it may be an outdated fix.

That really is strange, I have it installed on half a dozen customers computers and none have reported any problems and I have it installed on two of my computers (Mac and Windows) and I certainly havent noticed any untoward intrusive behavior.
I'll have to keep my ears to the ground. Having said that the computer literacy level of my customers is below that of a weeble so they probably wouldn't notice it in the first place!

That really is strange, I have it installed on half a dozen customers computers and none have reported any problems and I have it installed on two of my computers (Mac and Windows) and I certainly havent noticed any untoward intrusive behavior.
I'll have to keep my ears to the ground. Having said that the computer literacy level of my customers is below that of a weeble so they probably wouldn't notice it in the first place!

I'm probably a little more advanced than your customers, although I most recently wrote industrial process control programs in FORTRAN IV.

Tony I noted that your screens are from a windows 7 device . I am running windows 10 and sophos 1.2.5 the screen I get is shown below and in the configure screen there is no advanced options, this I believe is the issue especially if Marianna is also running Windows 10 .

sophos2.jpg

Tony I noted that your screens are from a windows 7 device . I am running windows 10 and sophos 1.2.5 the screen I get is shown below and in the configure screen there is no advanced options, this I believe is the issue especially if Marianna is also running Windows 10 .

View attachment 1713

Yes, I am running Windows 10, and have been since before installing Sophos Home.

Thanks for the info Tony any chance you could please check the version of Sophos Home used. I , as stated, am on 1.2.5 . Thank you in advance for your help

Just heard back from Nick @ Sophos that the Dashboard is common across all the versions. It should be the same interface for all home users.

I have just created a new experimental account with Sophos, totally uninstalled the software from my Mac and re-installed using the new account, and I can confirm that there is NO advanced tab to be seen. I have submitted a support ticked which should be attended to withing the next twelve hours (according to their website), I will keep you informed.

Tony /All,

I am a Which subscriber and in their latest magazine they have retested the Anti Virus software and Sophos Home has been demoted and lost its best Buy status . The testers have cited that it has middling protection and poor protection with Ransomware. They have now thrown their hat in with Bit Defender as the most effective Free Anti Virus Software . I have just installed to see what I needed to do. Aside from removing Sophos it will not allow Spybot Search and Destroy to co-exist but did not squawk about Malware Bytes Free .

They say the Anti Virus , Anti Phising and Anti Ransomware defences are 4 stars and over . The Premium features would cost £30 to cover 3 devices , the Free version is only for one device . The Premium offers Anti Spam, Firewall, Safe Banking and a Password Manager . It is the Top Anti Virus software marked at 80% the Free achieves a credible 75% .

As I only had Sophos , SpyBot and Malwarebytes installed I only had an issue installing with the former two and not the latter clearly some of you who may consider installing Bitdefender may have other AV services that may not sit alongside Bitdefender . With no Firewall you would also need to enable Windows Firewall[ or install another firewall product] if you remove the AV software you currently use to install Bitdefender . I believe you can check from opening Security and Maintenance tab in Control Panel and expanding the pulldown Security Option in the body of the page.

For many years I have used ESET home security, never once have I caught a cold while using it, I buy it in 3 year blocks cost around £84 for 1 machine, add around £10 per extra device over 3 years, I like the fact they have a real telephone number, really good tech support should you need it and the UK arm is based in Bournemouth

I know its a moot point but the providers of the PC based Operating Systems Microsoft and Apple should really provide the state of the art security software to protect the systems there should be no need to purchase third party software to do the job .

Last edited:
I've been using BitDefender for few years now.. quite simple and seems to work

At work, in middle of removing Symantec and rolling out Trend Micro, but knowing this place, it would only be due to $$ than anything else :(

Back