Summerwine guest appearance on Benny Hill show

Lino

I love the old reruns of the Benny Hill show, and I just saw a sketch that he reworked from an older season. It includes an appearance from a prominent Summer Wine cast member towards the end. I'm sure most of you Brits are aware of this but it was a nice surprise to me.
Here's the youtube link:

(And yes, I'm aware Henry McGee in this sketch one guested on Summer Wine himself. - the Miraculous Healing of Old Goff Helliwell)

Benny was sacked by ITV only to become a megastar across the pond in the US funny how the twists and turns of life play out.

Forgot that - yet one often thinks of the ITV as being less prurient than the BBC but then again they never saw the innuendo and double entendre in some radio output of the time. Such as Round the Horne, or ISIRTA which got away with an awful lot.

I have just quickly looked and the BBC Radio IPlayer has a lot of the old comedies available Hancock, Dads Army , Terry Thomas - Top of the Town [which I have not listened to] and Stop Messing About which has Kenneth Williams, Hugh Paddick and Joan Sims starring and is effectively Round the Horne series 5 re-written after Kenneth Horne suddenly and sadly passed away . I have heard all Round the Horne's but not Stop Messing About so I will be giving it a listen imminently .

When I was working and on night shift , working at a computer , I used to trawl through them, it helped pass the time . Certainly Round the Horne was packed full of innuendo and double entendre.

..... Certainly Round the Horne was packed full of innuendo and double entendre.

Probably the show with the most innuendo - which obviously was never understood by the management.

I also liked the fact that a standard continuity announcer, Douglas Smith, was used for some of the lines. I can remember him playing a "semi-detached bijou residence" as he "did not want to play a fort again, as Mummy thought he was getting rather type-cast".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_the_Horne

has quite a lot of information and brought back a lot of memories as this was staple fare for me as a student.

Back